Back to Blog
Winnipeg Dance Force is seeking a part-time accredited ballet instructor to join our amazing team of professional teachers!
We are looking for an individual who can instruct and develop technical training, instill a love for dance in students of all ages and levels in our recreational and competitive divisions, and who can take students beyond the syllabus. The ability to teach other genres would be an asset, but is not a must. The candidate should be enthusiastic, possess good communication skills, and have the ability to demonstrate while maintaining an encouraging, positive, and nurturing classroom environment.
Candidates do not need to teach exclusively at WDF, and would be able to fulfill hours on one or two weeknights and multiple hours on Saturdays. There are also adminstrative hours available if interested to supliment further income, as well as choreographic opportunities for our pre-competitive and competitive programs. This position is offered for the September 2018-2019 dance season with the ability to extend the position for future seasons.
Competitive wages are negotiated based on experience and certification. Interested in joining our team in a dynamic environment? We’d love to hear from you! Please submit your resume along with a reference via email to: email@example.com, subject: BALLET TEACHER
Back to Blog
Starting date: September 17, 2018
Salary Range: $40,000 – $50,000 commensurate with experience
WINNIPEG'S CONTEMPORARY DANCERS ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
Winnipeg ‘s Contemporary Dancers, founded in 1964 by Rachel Browne, is one of Canada’s
founding modern dance companies. During its entire history, the Company has worked with
scores of exceptional Canadian and international artists, establishing a reputation for presentation of dance of the highest quality.
Winnipeg‘s Contemporary Dancers’ goal is to create a place on the local, national and
international arts landscape that enables vital intersections, linkages and exchange among dance creators, dance interpreters, spectators and communities. Our values, programs, and activities are based on respect for our history, the ongoing development of our artists, and to our place in the community.
We are an evolving, responsive arts system, which serves as a springboard for advancing the art form through the presentation of new and existing dance work that fosters and advances artistic vitality and excellence in dance. We create, produce, teach, present and promote professional contemporary dance with a view to furthering the art form for professional artists and audiences alike.
Winnipeg’s Contemporary Dancers it is located on Treaty One Territory. Treaty One Territory is
located on the original lands of Anishinaabeg, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation.
To find out more about Winnipeg’s Contemporary Dancers please visit: http://www.winnipegscontemporarydancers.ca/company/
Winnipeg ‘s Contemporary Dancers’ goal is to create a place on the local, national and international arts landscape that enables vital intersections, linkages and exchange among dance creators, dance interpreters, spectators and communities. Our values, programs, and activities are based on respect for our history, the ongoing development of our artists, and to our place in the community.
We are an evolving, responsive arts system, which serves as a springboard for advancing the art form through the presentation of new and existing dance work that fosters and advances artistic vitality and excellence in dance.
We create, produce, teach, present and promote professional contemporary dance with a view to furthering the art form for professional artists and audiences alike.
Winnipeg’s Contemporary Dancers’ Artistic Director (AD) is a full time seasonal position
(September – May) and must be located in Winnipeg during this time. The AD is responsible for
all artistic matters of the Company, creating and choreographing their own work on selected
dancers and acts as curator, programming choreographers and performing artists into each
season. The AD is expected to choreograph a minimum of one new full evening length work each year.
Reporting directly to the Chair of the Board of Directors, this position works closely with the
Administrator, directly supervises the dancers, all other creative and performing artists and
supervises the work of the Production Manager/Technical Director as it pertains to artistic
matters. The Artistic Director is the spokesperson and face of the Company.
The individual in this position shall be an accomplished choreographer with a positive national
profile, a strong artistic vision, ability to articulate that vision, and possess excellent leadership,
interpersonal and oral communication skills. The Artistic Director oversees and manages the work of all artistic personnel, maintaining a high quality artistic output that achieves the Company’s goals and objectives. The candidate will maintain a high level of attention to detail in all aspects of the position and execute their accountabilities with the highest level of professional integrity.
Winnipeg’s Contemporary Dancers fosters a team-oriented environment in which all personnel
may be required to participate in a wide range of activities and take on additional responsibilities from time to time that may be outside of their core responsibilities. The successful candidate will be expected to uphold the values of Winnipeg’s Contemporary Dancers: Equity and Diversity, Respect, Anti-Oppression, Equality Across Gender Identities and Sexual Orientation, Maintaining Safe Work Environments, and Community Building.
• Develop and execute a new artistic vision that fulfills the organization’s overall mission.
• Annually select all artistic activities for approval by the Board of Directors.
• Selecting artists for all annual seasonal Company activities and providing the
Administrator with all pertinent information for contracting.
• Manage and execute community engagement and outreach activities
• Supervising, directing and assessing the work of all artists annually.
• In collaboration with the Administrator, manage and execute all organizational planning.
• Provide regular updates to the Administrator and Chair of the Board to review artistic
• In collaboration with the Administrator, prepare annual the operating budget for approval
by the Board of Directors.
• Working closely with the Administrator achieve Company financial goals;
• Working closely with the Administrator on planning, preparing and execution of operating
and project based applications to government agencies and departments.
• In collaboration with the Administrator, oversee and approve all communications content
including but not limited to; press releases, house programs, digital platforms.
• Provide a written artistic report at meetings of the Board of Directors on progress on
approved artistic activities and plans.
• Ensure all Company personnel are kept aware of artistic plans in advance.
• Attend and participate in all Company fundraising activities as required.
• Actively seek out opportunities to elevate the Company’s profile locally, provincially,
nationally and internationally.
• Create and produce company work;
• Drive the creative development of the Company;
• Collaborate with choreographers in developing & producing a range of contemporary
• Support, train and nurture Company dance artists;
• Create professional development opportunities for all artistic company members;
• Foster a strong working relationship with the School of Contemporary Dancers;
• Collaborate with local, national and international artists and dance organizations;
• Post-secondary degree in dance from a recognized institution or equivalent working
experience in a company of a similar size
• Experience managing and executing annual artistic programming
• Proven capacity to work collaboratively and harmoniously with Boards of Directors,
Management, staff, volunteers, community groups, funding agencies, donors and
• A self starter who can work independently and collaboratively
• Experience meeting deadlines and adhering to schedules
• Demonstrable experience writing grants and funding proposals
• Motivated, decisive, an independent problem solver, and able to work under pressure
• Respect for timelines, schedules, contracts and budgets
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• The successful candidate must reside in Winnipeg for the duration of each Company
• Strong understanding of the contemporary dance milieu in Canada and internationally
• Experience working with community groups, not-for-profit, and/or marginalized
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and remains
• Must demonstrate strong artistic relationships with contemporary dance and performance
artists and companies
• Willing to travel on behalf of the company representing it and growing its national and
international profile, and touring networks.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following:
• Cover letter 1- 2 pages maximum
• Curriculum vitae or resume with three references
• 2 Writing samples including; artistic statement and selection from a grant or funding
proposal (ensure all private information is blacked out)
• 2 examples of artistic work no longer than 10 minutes each acceptable formats: Youtube,
Resumes accepted until May 18,2018 at 5pm Eastern Standard Time. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or email inquiries.
Please forward resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to Blog
Stoney Brook Dance Company, located in Steinbach, MB is looking for a hip hop teacher.
Teaching experience is preferred, however depending on your background possible not necessary. You would be teaching 6 - approximately 13 year olds. Pay will be based on previous experience.
If interested please email email@example.com with a resume or call Karla at
204-371-6771 for more details.
Back to Blog
StudioWorks School of Rock production is a month away and they're psyched! Tickets are going quickly so make sure to purchase yours online at: www.winnipegstudiotheatre.com.